Thursday, June 23, 2011

3 points to become an effective teacher.

Two weeks ago, I was invited to give a seminar on current trends and approaches in teaching strategies. While I was thinking whether I should accept the invitation or not, I thought of the topic. Then I thought, what could be the current trend in teaching strategies? In my reflection, there is no one best way of teaching a course. Teaching strategies will always be the same, but maybe what could change is our approach to teaching. When I was able to convince the one who invited that it should be the approach and not the strategy, I readily agreed and reviewed my notes on my readings on Harry Wong's bookI coupled my readings with my 20+ years of classroom teaching experience, and voila!  I was ready.

The book of Harry Wong that I love (sent to me by my friend, Ms. J)
There were three points that I shared during the seminar:  1) teacher's paradigm modification; 2) habits of effective teacher; and 3) positive expectations.  Let me give you an overview of each point.

Teacher's paradigm modification.  With the advent of information and communication technology, it is a must that teacher's learn how to shift their perspectives and their approaches to teaching.  Students of today easily get bored in the traditional classroom setting.  Hence it is a must that teachers keep themselves abreast with the latest trend in information and communication technology and eventually change their approaches and strategies in delivering their lessons.

Habits of effective teacher.  Corollary to paradigm shift are the habits that make teachers effective.  Changing paradigm calls for the teacher to be proactive, lest he or she will consider the fast-changing information and communication technology a threat to education.  Being proactive then is one of the habits that the teachers of today must practice.

Positive expectations. Every teachers should have positive expectations for students to succeed.  This principle is based on the belief that every student in class has the capacity and capability to succeed in any assignment.  Not all of them could get 100, but all of them can learn.

Well, I can humbly say that the seminar was well-appreciated by the participants who were all high school and elementary teachers plus the principal and other school administrators. In fact, the school principal had me scheduled for another seminar before I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This side of the world is a therapy for me. I find solace and peace here. Very much like the feeling I have after popping tiny bubbles!

Gently pop tiny bubbles with me.