Friday, June 17, 2011

On being a teacher, part 2.

I wrote this entry some few years ago, and it has been kept in my computer memory for quite sometime.

Why do I end up teaching? 

When I first came to Manila in 1982, I never had an idea that I would be a teacher.  Just like any young teenagers, I would like to have a job which could give me real prestige, luxury, and pleasure. 

I dreamt of becoming a broadcast journalist.  My childhood dream was to be working on radio, since TV then was quite remote in our far-flung barangay in Iolilo.  After high school, my parents sent me here in Manila to become a store helper of my aunt since they could not afford to send me to college.  True enough.  I became my aunt’s store helper, and even a house and dress shop helper at times.  After a year, I thought of studying.  Yes, I thought that I would support myself from the meager 80 pesos per month salary that my aunt gave me. 

My aunt’s house was very close to a university.  When summer of 1987 came, I went to that university and inquired on the course offerings.  There was no mass communications! Young as I was then, I already knew my interest...communication. Because there was no course on mass communications in that university near my aunt's house, I had a dilemma on what course to take.  My interest was on language so I was left with options on  AB English or BSE English. Since I wanted to have a sure job right after college, I considered the latter.

During my first few years of teaching, I was ashamed to tell others that I am a teacher.  Simply because I don't like people’s notion of teachers, who are regarded as stern, strict, and worst of all, old-maids!  Because of that, it’s only after 10 years that I got to accept the reality that, indeed, I am a teacher - that being one I have the tremendous influence; that I have the power to make or break other people’s future!

I have been teaching for more than 20 years, and I’m proud to say that somehow I have made an impact to the lives of other people, especially my students.  I already have doctors, lawyers, businessmen, professionals in different fields... the list can go on and on. 

Now... am I stern?  No!  I am one of the funniest mentors one could have.  Am I strict?  Not really.  I am friendly, but firm.  Am I an old-maid?  Not quite because I am in love and someone loves me, too :-)

Do I regret that I don't become a renowned broadcast journalist?  No, I don't.  I have the most fantastic job in the world!  No one can influence the minds of the young like I do.

With my former co-teachers and my songbird Anton Diva




No comments:

Post a Comment

This side of the world is a therapy for me. I find solace and peace here. Very much like the feeling I have after popping tiny bubbles!

Gently pop tiny bubbles with me.