Monday, July 23, 2012

Kage bunshin (no jutsu).

According to Urban DictionaryKage bunshin no jutsu is a shadow replication technique from the anime series Naruto. "Shadow" has little to do with shadows themselves, but rather refer to a type of jutsus known as shadow jutsus, or kage jutsus if you will. Whereas a normal replication technique would create a near perfect copy of the one performing the technique, the shadow replication is far superior in that it can create a vast number of replications.

And there's a note after that definition, which says:  kage bunshin no jutsu is Naruto's worst -and- best fighting move. He always hated the replication techniques at school because he was so bad at them, but then again kage bunshin no jutsu is so powerful that it enables him to easily create a horde of replications rather easily.

When I heard this word the first time, I found it weird.  Well, what can you expect from a forty-six-year-old-academic-person?  But when the simple meaning of the word was mentioned to me, I got the whole idea right away.  For a forty-six-year-old-academic-person, kage bunshin simply means duplication.  You simply have to create your clone!  That's it!  

I did my research today to get the whole picture of the representation of this word.  And this is what I found:

Kage bunshin!
And it makes me smile to know that I am not doing the perfect clone of kage bunshin action. For one, when Naruto does "kage bunshin", the index fingers do not form an X; they form a cross (+).  

So when does Naruto use this kagen bunshin technique?  Ideally, it is used in spying the enemies' field, so that a clone can easily disperse itself and send the information back to the user.  But more importantly, he uses this clone for training purposes, since the total amount of experience the user gains is multiplied by the number of clones being used to train.  For example, if a user creates one clone and trains together with this clone for one hour, the user gains two hours of training by adding the hours of clone and the user together. Therefore, when done with several hundreds, like Naruto does, training that could take weeks or months can be completed in a few hours. 

Aha!  Kage bunshin makes more sense to me now.  As my mentors told me, p(h)erfect duplication happens in training!  It saves time and effort in training people in my team to produce the results that I want.  And that is a tested and proven practice in the field where I am now.  My mentors' words are always full of wisdom eh.  

Well then Kage bunshin is not weird after all.  If applied properly, it can make billionaires!  Don't you think so?  :-D





2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Kage bunshin, Jipo! PhD has another meaning for me; this time (to borrow Up Ed's term), it's P(h)erfect Duplication! :-D

      Delete

This side of the world is a therapy for me. I find solace and peace here. Very much like the feeling I have after popping tiny bubbles!

Gently pop tiny bubbles with me.